Monday, May 22, 2017

Weekend update

Slow but steady progress.

All of the new coolant hoses are on. Supplied by Alfaholics.


The fan belt proved to be a challenge. At some point, this car had been upgraded to use an alternator, so the belt size is an unknown. After several trips to the local part stores, we found one that fits (34.6") and has the correct tension.


I thought the brake booster vacuum line looked new, but I was wrong. It started splitting and crumbling in my hands, so I replaced it with high pressure fuel injection hose. This is the same stuff I used on my Lotus Elan.

The alternator is back on. We also cleaned and reattached the ground strap.


We used a ceramic paint on the headers and reattached most of the exhaust system. For those of you who have been through this process on a GTV, hats off to you! It's a fun and painful job. Instead of using the original bolts, we substituted ones with a hex-head which made the job easier.

I gave the coolant reservoir a good cleaning. It is amazing how much casting sand makes its way into these! The lid and straps were also treated with a fresh coat of paint.

Finally, we trial fitted the carbs.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment