Monday, August 7, 2017

Bleeding the brakes

Silly brake fluid saga.

Like every other Alfa newbie, I glean as much information as I can from the AlfaBB. Several of the members recommend using Prestone Dot 4 brake fluid in 105 cars.

I used to see this stuff at every gas station and auto parts store, but it was recently pulled from the shelves for some unknown reason. This is Canada, so high taxes and global warming are probably involved. 

My other options were so gruesome that I'm surprised they didn't come in mason jars with handwritten names. I pinched my nose and selected the Canadian Tire "Premium European Car Dot 4" brand.

Snobbery aside, the reality is the lines are full of stale fluid (25+ years) and this job will probably have to be repeated once the car has some miles on it. So, how bad was it?

The rear lines contained a mixture of brownish fluid, air bubbles and flecks of crud. Yuck. But the biggest shock was the front brakes, everything coming out of those looked like a infectious disease.

We did go through a lot of fluid, so my brand choice is irrelevant. And after working from the back to the front, the brake pedal has an excellent feel to it.

I'm getting close to driving the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment